Obtaining you visa depends on how you have travelled in the Nepal. If you are arriving in Nepal by the international flight, then you can easily obtain your visa in Tribhuvan International Airport. And if you are arriving in Nepal from the border then you will be able to receive your visa at the border points in Kakadvitta, Birgunj, Bhairahawa, Nepalgunj, Gaddachowki on Nepal-India border and Kodari on Nepal-China border. Visa can also be obtained at the nearest Nepal Embassy or Diplomatic Mission. Visa can also be obtained (renewal purposes) at Department of Immigration, Kalikasthan, Kathmandu. A valid passport and one passport -size photo with a light background is required. Immigration Department has not specified the size of the passport-size photo.
[Note: You cannot receive the visa from the immigration enter point if you are from the following countries and should enter Nepal through international flights and should receive their visa from the Tribhuvan International Airport. The list of countries are provided below:
What do you need to obtain Nepal visa?
To obtain your visa after arriving at Nepal. You require these following documents:
- Two passport size photos
- Visa fees which should be paid(cash). [Note: You cannot pay by ATM there are ATM machine around the airports]
- You should fill the application form for visa available at airport or immigration entry points.
- A valid passport [Note: The passport should have validity of at least six months]
Entry points to Nepal:
- Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
- Eastern Nepal – Kakarvitta, Jhapa
- Central Nepal – Birjung, Parsa
- Northern Border – Kodari, Sindhupalchowk
- Western – Rupandehi (Belhiya, Bhairahawa)
- Mid-western – Banke (Jamuna, Nepalgunj)
- Far western – Kailali (Mohana, Dhangadhi) / Kanchanpur (Gaddachauki, Mahendranagar)
- USD 25 or currency equivalent for 15 days.
- USD 40 or currency equivalent for 30 days.
- USD 100 or currency equivalent for 90 days.
- Visa up to 30 days is free if you are from the SAARC countries.
- Valid identification certificate instead of visa is must if you are citizen of India and is travelling to Nepal by air. The children under the age of 10 will not require any kinds of identification certificate.
- If you want your visa extended for 15 days or less, you will be charged USD 30 as visa extension charge or currency equivalent.
- If you want your visa extended for more than 15 days, you will be charged 2 USD per day after the earlier 15 days as visa extension charge. The visa can be extended to 150 days in a visa year (Visa year refers to year starting January to December.)
In any case of transaction or flight delay due to whatever reason, if you are to land on Nepal airport you have to pay USD 5 or any other currency equivalent. The transit visa is valid for 3 three days at maximum.
Other General Information:
- You are not allowed to enter Nepal without visa or else it is considered illegal.
- You can easily obtain your visa from Nepalese embassy or consulate or other mission offices in your country or at the immigration entry points in Nepal listed above.
- Once the visa has been issued you cannot undergo any minor changes and the fees you paid will not be refundable.
- For children under 10 years of age no any visa fees are applicable. However, they must have a valid visa.
- You need to contact the Immigration Department for the document transfer in case if you are receiving any new travel documents or passport.
- Your passport and trekking permit is must while trekking.
- Do not carry out activities like filming on restricted areas and do not do any other prohibited activities other than that.
- Do not try to perform any kind of activities to hurt the pride and sentiments of Nepalese culture, tradition and people.